So blogging took a back seat to paper writing last week. With said paper now in the virtual hands of my co-authors, I can get back to the more important things in life, namely: obsessive spinning with every single spare moment I have, and the realization that I have no idea what I'm doing.
Case in point - I took this dyed Corriedale roving to spin, thinking I would do a two-ply and get a nice barberpole effect.
Instead, what I ended up with showed a striking resemblance to cat barf:
Somehow the coppery sections ended up more of a salmon pink. Although I split the roving in half lengthwise, with the intention of having the colors more or less line up in the finished yarn, more often then not the salmon pink lined up with some really really bright green. Ugh.
I had a little bit left on one bobbin, so I chain plied that to see if it looked better. Only slightly...
Here's a close up of the little skein - it definitely works better then the two ply, and they both look better in the daylight then under internal lighting but...sigh. Better luck next time I suppose. The chain plied hank is also really really overplied.
One last shot of the cat barf:
It's definitely going to take a bit for me to really figure out what I'm doing here. I did order a bunch of spinning and dyeing books from the Interweave Knits dinged book sale which should arrive, oh sometime by the end of the year, so I'm hoping those will provide some insight. In any event, I'm certainly having a good time.
ETA: Clearly I need to take all my pictures outside - natural light works so much better!