Was it good for you too?

Done. Finis. With two hours to spare. I've impressed myself this time.

baby surplice front

Pattern: EZ's baby surplice sweater from Vogue Spring/Summer 2007 (Rav link)
Yarn: Brown Sheep Cotton Top (discontinued), 50/50 wool/cotton, (less then) two skeins, approximately 300 yds
Needles: US7
Comments/mods: the yarn I used is an aran or heavy worsted weight instead of the ~DK weight called for by the pattern. I rationalized my way around this issue by knitting the smaller of the two sizes in the pattern, and guessing that the intended recipient will still fit into in next winter (since he/she certainly won't be big enough for it this winter) (I hope). Finished chest measurement when laid flat is about 22 in, but it can be adjusted as needed by wrapping more or less.

baby surplice back

baby surplice front detail

Instead of buttons I put 3 stitch I-cords on the front corners of the jacket. Easier to do, plus I didn't have any suitable buttons floating around at work. I hope I made them long enough that they'll be usable as the babe gets bigger.

baby surplice arm increases

I used a lifted bar increase on the arms, and I like the subtle line it makes in the garter stitch. It is pretty unobtrusive in fact, and I like how it matches with the slight break seen along the front edging.

The yarn was slightly tough to work with, particularly under a time crunch - I'm not such a big fan of cotton, and this blend was particularly stiff feeling for only being 50% cotton. This is the same yarn I used for the now snoozing Basalt Tank, and I don't remember it being this tough to work with. Of course, I didn't knit for three days straight without stopping on the Basalt Tank either, so that might have something to do with it. I'm very pleased this is done, and I hope the mom-to-be likes it!

Just in case you've forgotten, I'm also working on my Rainbow Socks. Let me rephrase, on someone's Rainbow socks, because there is no way in hell these suckers are going to fit me. But I'm having fun with all the short rows!

rainbow socks in progress

note: finished sock still doesn't have the toe grafted because I finished it on the bus, and had to start the other one immediately (to avoid dreaded SSS). And even though I've done a fair bit of grafting in my time, I'm not crazy enough to do it without reviewing the directions at least once. So sock #2 is getting worked on 4 dpns instead of 5, until I get around to Kitchnering the damn thing.